Skip to main content
Get A Quote

What is Tenants Insurance?

Tenants Insurance is for people who are renting a Home or Condo and require Insurance for their personal property and Liability.  Your landlord is responsible for insurance on their building, but coverage is not afforded for your personal property or liability, with a tenants insurance package you receive coverage for these exposures.

Do I Really Need Tenant Insurance?

A: Yes. Without coverage for your personal property, additional living expenses you may be exposed to significant finacial hardship from losses that are caused by others.

What are the primary components of Tenant Insurance?

Personal Property Insurance

This comprises all of your personal personal property or "contents." You might not think that you have much of real value, but what if you had to replace everything all at once, due to fire or water damage?
Replacing your clothing, alone, could cost you several thousand dollars. That old couch and bed might not look like much, but buying new ones at today’s replacement costs could cost substantially more than their current value.
When you consider what it would cost to replace everything, monthly insurance premiums may look pretty good by comparison.

Additional Living Expenses

This coverage provides reimbursement for the additional costs of living that are incurred by the policy holder should the policy holder be temporarily displaced from their place of residence. Through no fault of your own you might be displaced by a fire or water damage. Additional living expense insurance can covers things like the cost to rent a temporary residence when displaced, the increase in a monthly food bill due to having to eat-out at restaurants, as well as other costs associated with temporary displacement.

Personal Liability Insurance

This coverage provides legal defense costs and award settlement up to the limit purchased if you are found legally liable for damages as a result of your negligence.

As a tenant you are liable – yes, legally responsible – for bodily injury and property damages incurred by others resulting from your negligence. This includes damage to the building rented as well as property of others.


  • If you, or another member of your household, leave the stove or oven on and fire ensues. You would be legally responsible for all resulting damages and related expenses. This includes damage to the property of others and additional expenses incurred – such as the cost to rent temporary accommodation for those affected.
  • If you leave a tap on and it floods other units you are legally liable for the damages caused.
  • You could even find yourself in legal trouble if your party guests get out of hand and cause property damage or bodily injury to others. As a host you can be found legally responsible, or get drawn into costly litigation, for the actions of your guests.

One of the main benefits of personal liability insurance is the included legal defence costs coverage. Even if you are very careful and don’t do anything that could be considered “negligent” you may be drawn into litigation for alleged wrongdoing. The insurance company providing your coverage is required in many cases to provide you with a legal defence against these actions.

Why choose AC&D for my Tenants Insurance?

AC&D offers Tenants Insurance coverage through over 15 Insurance Companies.  This means you will have more choice when it comes to coverage options and price.  Our Insurance experts are here to discuss your insurance needs at any time, please call us for a free no obligation quote or review of your current insurance.  You can also Request a Quote below.

North Vancouver

1315 Marine Drive

PH: 604-985-0581
PH: 1-800-229-3590

Mon-Fri: 8:30am - 6pm
Sat: 10am - 4pm
Sun & Holidays: Closed

InsureBC Squamish

850-1200 Hunter Place

PH: 604-892-1033

Mon-Fri: 9am - 6pm
Sat: 10am - 4pm
Sun & Holidays: Closed


234 Reid Street

PH: 250-992-5544

Mon-Fri: 8:30am - 5:30pm
Sat: 9am - 5pm
Sun & Holidays: Closed