Skip to main content
Get A Quote

What is a Rooming or Boarding House?

A rooming house is a type of accommodation where multiple people rent individual rooms within the same house or building. It's like a combination of a hotel and a shared apartment. Each person typically has their own bedroom but shares common areas like the kitchen, bathrooms, and living room with other tenants. It's often used by people who want affordable housing with some level of independence but are okay with sharing facilities with others.

A boarding house is a place where people pay to live and usually get a private room along with shared facilities like bathrooms and kitchens. It's like a mix between renting an apartment and staying in a hotel. People often stay in boarding houses for longer periods of time, and it's common for the landlord or owner to provide meals or other services for an extra fee. It's a bit like living in a home away from home, with a bit of community feeling among the residents.

What does Rooming or Boarding House Insurance cover?

Our Rooming or Boarding House Insurance Package Policies include all-risk coverage for the following:

  • Primary Building
  • Detached Buildings
  • Personal or Landlord’s Contents
  • Additional Living Expenses or Rental Income
  • Personal or Premise Liability

Optional coverages available include:

  • Broad Water Damage
  • Earthquake (available for properties that qualify)

Why should I get my Rooming or Boarding property insurance from AC&D?

AC&D understands the risks associated with a Rooming or Boarding house property and we have developed products specifically designed to cover these properties that provides most of the valuable coverages found on a standard rental property insurance policy. Contact Us today to arrange a no-obligation review of your property insurance needs from one of our expert brokers or Request a Quote.

Complete as much of this form as you like. If you would prefer to have an application sent by email or speak with a qualified broker directly, please complete the contact information only and click the submit button at the bottom of the form.

Preferred Method of Contact:

If you currently have insurance, please provide current insured limit
Fridges, stoves, washers, dryers, window dressings, etc
Building Sprinklered:
Do you have a mortgage/secured line of credit on the property:
Was your prior policy cancelled for non payment:
Have you ever been cancelled, declined, or refused personal insurance:
Kilometers to the nearest Fire Hall:

Is Fire Hall:

Distance to the closest fire hydrant:

Are there Solid Fuel Burning Stoves or Fireplace Inserts in the home:

Do not count fireplaces, except inserts
Solid Fuel Burning Units are for:

Oil tanks above or underground:

Dog owner:

Live in employees:

Nannies, caretakers etc.
Short-term rentals of property to others:

Exclude basement & attached garage
Basement Type:

Building Construction Type:

Building Construction Quality:

Building Shape:

# of Full Bathrooms:

# of Half Bathrooms:

Garage Type:

Garage # of Cars:

Crawl Space:

Finished Attic:

Room over Garage:

Swimming Pool:

Hot Tub:

Please describe, including sq ft area(s)
Has the home been completely gutted (new plumbing, wiring)?:

Home listed on any Historic Registry:

Wiring Main Panel Amperage:

Wiring Panel Type:

Wiring Updated:

Wiring Material:

if applicable
Plumbing Types:

Plumbing Updated:

if known
Please advise of oldest installed hot water tank or year of on-demand system installation
Primary Heat:

if applicable
Primary heating system serviced annually:

Primary Roof Material:

Are smoke detectors battery operated or hard wired?:

Are there carbon monoxide detectors in common areas?:

Reverse slope driveway:

A reverse slope driveway is one that leads downward from a public street to a parking area, such as a below-grade garage.
Cannabis grown at this location:

Does the applicant own any other rental properties:

Is the dwelling for sale:

Is the dwelling vacant?:

Do you take an active role in maintenance and upkeep of dwelling:

Do you use a Property Management Company:

How often do you, or your property manager, inspect the exterior of the dwelling:

How often do you, or your property manager, inspect the interior of the dwelling:

Is the property situated on a lot size exceeding 3-acres?:

Is cooking allowed in bedrooms?:

Are there any hot plates on premises?:

What type of tenant lease is in place:

Business activities conducted from the unit/dwelling:

Do your tenant operate a business from the premises?
Are student rentals allowed?:

Does the lease or rental agreement require the tenants to carry personal liability insurance?:

Have additional rental units been added to the structure:

Does the applicant take steps to prevent illegal operations on premise (e.g. marijuana cultivation), such as performing regular interior inspections, checking for unoccupancy, blacked out windows, or asking neighbours to watch premise?:

Please use this area to tell us anything else you feel is important
front & back if available
This will allow us to provide a comparison
Enter security code:
 Security code
Required to prove you're not a bot!

North Vancouver

1315 Marine Drive

PH: 604-985-0581
PH: 1-800-229-3590

Mon-Fri: 8:30am - 6pm
Sat: 10am - 4pm
Sun & Holidays: Closed

InsureBC Squamish

850-1200 Hunter Place

PH: 604-892-1033

Mon-Fri: 9am - 6pm
Sat: 10am - 4pm
Sun & Holidays: Closed


234 Reid Street

PH: 250-992-5544

Mon-Fri: 8:30am - 5:30pm
Sat: 9am - 5pm
Sun & Holidays: Closed