Skip to main content
Get A Quote

What is Vacant Building Insurance?

A building is considered vacant by insurers when the occupant of the property, such as a tenant or owner, leaves without any intention of returning. For example, if the tenant occupying a rental building or strata unit were to leave and the landlord did not have another tenant occupying the premise immediately, the property would be considered vacant.
Vacant Building Insurance
All coverage on a commercial policy ceases for Property at locations which to the knowledge of the Insured, are vacant, unoccupied or shut down for more than thirty (30) consecutive days.

When a property is no longer occupied it becomes a higher risk for insurers. In these scenarios your insurance company may be unwilling to continue coverage. A Vacant Building Insurance policy is specifically designed to cover properties while they are vacant.

What does Vacant Building Insurance Cover?

The main components of a Vacant Building Insurance policy are:

  • Building, if applicable;
  • Equipment
  • Loss of Income
  • Premises Liability

Why should I choose AC&D for my Vacancy insurance?

AC&D represents over 20 standard market insurance companies, has access to over 50 specialty insurance companies and has coverholder agreements with Lloyd’s. This means we can provide better coverage and rates for your property during a vacancy period. We take the time to thoroughly review each situation to evaluate the condition and security of a vacant property. We use our knowledge and experience insuring vacant properties to ensure you get the coverage to suit your needs at the best price.

Contact our Vacant Property Insurance Experts today for a no obligation review of your insurance or Request a Quote.

Complete as much of this form as you like. If you would prefer to have an application sent by email or speak with a qualified broker directly, please complete the contact information only and click the submit button at the bottom of the form.

What date do you require coverage?
Preferred Method of Contact:

If you are unsure of this, and you currently have the building insured, please use the current insured building value here. Otherwise please estimate the cost to rebuild the building.
Building # of Stories:

Is the building sprinklered:

Is there a hydrant within 300 meters:
Is there a fire hall within 8 kms:
Has insurance ever been denied or canceled:
Does the building have a monitored burglar alarm:

Please provide loss type, loss date, and estimated amount paid.
If you want a straight comparison to your current coverage, please upload a copy of your current policy. This can also be emailed to
Enter security code:
 Security code
Required to prove you're not a bot!

North Vancouver

1315 Marine Drive

PH: 604-985-0581
PH: 1-800-229-3590

Mon-Fri: 8:30am - 6pm
Sat: 10am - 4pm
Sun & Holidays: Closed

InsureBC Squamish

850-1200 Hunter Place

PH: 604-892-1033

Mon-Fri: 9am - 6pm
Sat: 10am - 4pm
Sun & Holidays: Closed


234 Reid Street

PH: 250-992-5544

Mon-Fri: 8:30am - 5:30pm
Sat: 9am - 5pm
Sun & Holidays: Closed